Tuesday 1 May 2012

Day 4 - Transcending the medium

I spent most of today preparing models and exporting them to .STL format for printing. I printed out a figure (which has featured prominently in my digital works this year) of a woman meditating. The process used 26 grams of ABS plastic and took two hours to print. The support material was quite extensive and unfortunately it adhered to the figure's face. Half an hour of careful tweezering and filing later and she was freed of her restraints.

There are a few brown patches which I suspect is symptomatic of a clogged nozzle or incorrect nozzle height; I shall experiment tomorrow to see if I can eliminate these blemishes. Overall I'm fairly happy with the detail in this piece, each of the fingers and toes is distinct as are the facial features. Somewhat synchronistically I realised when taking the photos of the figure that I had also today hung the picture seen in the fourth photo which features the same model.





No comments:

Post a Comment